A personal injury can result in devastation that is difficult to overcome. When someone is injured because of the negligence or direct actions of another, the victim can seek fair compensation. Hiring a personal injury attorney is often one of the soundest methods to obtain a fair outcome. Knowing the right questions to ask an attorney will help prepare an injured victim for getting the answers they need.
Why Hire an Attorney?
Hiring a personal injury attorney cannot guarantee a certain outcome, but it can offer sound legal guidance and great peace of mind. Those who seek help from an attorney can generally obtain a fairer settlement because insurance adjusters do not want to go to court. Many personal injury lawyerse offer free consultation appointments for new clients.
5 Essential Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Attorney
At the consultation appointment, a lot of information will be shared by the victim and attorney. Being prepared with a list of questions for the lawyer will help to ensure the victim is ready to gather as much information as possible.
- Have you worked on similar cases in the past? While any personal injury attorney can take on a case, hiring one that has worked with the same type is beneficial. Victims want to know their case is in good hands and will be handled with the utmost of care. It is also wise to check on the track record of the attorney regarding similar types of injury cases.
- How long will it take to settle the case? This is an important question, but there is no exact answer. An attorney should be able to offer an estimate about how long the process will take. They will rely on their work on other cases and look at the facts to make a determination. Every case is different, but having an estimate of time in mind can be beneficial.
- Do you work on a contingency basis? Many personal injury attorneys offer contingency arrangements. Contingency means the attorney is not paid unless they win the case for their client. This type of arrangement is preferable for many injured victims who do not have the upfront money to pay for legal services. If the individual wins their case, the attorney takes a certain percentage of the amount.
- How much compensation can be expected? Most people want to know their case value before they commit to hiring an attorney. It can be difficult to add up pain and suffering and other measurable damages. An attorney can help their client fully understand the value of their claim before the process starts.
- Can you provide references from clients? The more an individual learns about an attorney, the better equipped they will be to decide. Attorneys should be more than willing to offer references from past clients. If the attorney is unwilling, it may be wise for the individual to look elsewhere for legal services.
Attorney is an Advocate for Injured Client
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious injury can be devastating. The mounting medical bills and lost wages can both take their toll on victims. Thankfully, injured victims have the right to seek legal help from a personal injury attorney.
An attorney becomes an advocate for their injured client. They work to pursue a fair outcome and ensure the rights of the injured victim are protected. After a personal injury has occurred, seeking a consultation meeting with an attorney can offer great peace of mind.
Asking the above questions will help individuals to learn more about their case options. An attorney will work to seek the best possible outcome for their client so fairness is achieved.